Massimo71 ha pubblicato su Lomb.it 1016 articoli tra il 18/07/2003 ed il 25/07/2014.
Questo articolo è stato scritto il 20/02/2004
e fa parte della sezione Viaggi e Vacanze
Dalla pubblicazione ad oggi, questa pagina ha ricevuto 8594 visite (2/g.) e 96 commenti.
Imatrankoski Rapids, Kruununpuisto Park, Hotel Valtionhotelli, Power Plant, Cultural Centre, Churches, Museums, The Maid of Imatra
The rapids were formed ca. 5,000 years ago, when water from Lake Saimaa broke through the Salpausselkä ridge at Vuoksenniska. The numerous giants' cauldrons tell their own story of the extent and power of the rapids at that time. The Imatrankoski rapids are the oldest tourist attraction in Finland and have brought world-wide acclaim both to Imatra and Finland as a whole. The rapids have been depicted both pictorially and in literature.
Tourism in Imatra is considered to have begun in 1772, when Empress Catherine II of Russia and her retinue came to admire the violent struggles of the water in the narrow waterway. A ropeway was built in 1872, enabling brave visitors to cross the foaming rapids in a basket. In 1885, the courageous Rudolf Blondin crossed the rapids on a tightrope with his daughter Anthonia. The trick was repeated a hundred years later in 1985 by Ladislav Kaiser.
When hotel Valtionhotelli was built by the rapids in 1903, Imatra saw an unparalleled flow of tourists. Every day, fourteen trains brought aristocracy from St Petersburg to admire the surge of the rapids. The rapids flowed freely until 1929, when the hydroelectric plant of Imatran Voima was completed and the rapids were dammed. Since then, there have been regular rapids shows, when the rapids are allowed to flow, daily in summertime.
This, the oldest nature park in Finland, occupying the area around the Imatrankoski Rapids, was founded in 1842 by order of Tsar Nicholas I. The Kruununpuisto Park features four different sections, the Koskipuisto Park, the Patopuisto Park, the Muinaisuoma Park and the Valtionhotelli Park, and numerous sights, ranging from monuments to the largest hydroelectric power plant in Finland and a summer theatre. The most famous of these sights is the Imatrankoski Rapids, admired by thousands of people each year during the rapids shows arranged in the summer. The bare watercourse alone is a sight to be seen.
"The Maid of Imatra" statue, old viewing pavilions, giants' cauldrons and names engraved by travellers on the rock bear a message from days gone by. The magnificent castle hotel Valtionhotelli stands by the rapids.
The best way to get to know the Kruununpuisto Park is to follow the marked Historic Trail. For further information, order a brochure.
Imatra Power Plant
Construction started in 1922 and the power plant, once the largest hydroelectric plant in Europe, was completed and electricity production started in 1929. This, the largest hydroelectric plant in Finland, owned by Fortum, produces electricity with seven units, approx. 1 billion Kwh a year.
Open for visitors in summer during the Rapids Shows.
Church of the Three Crosses
Ruokolahdentie 27, 55800 Imatra
tel. +358 5 4731236, Mon - Fri 12 noon - 1pm
This church in Vuoksenniska was designed by architect Alvar Aalto and completed in 1957.
The Church of the Three Crosses was named after the three crosses that serve as an altarpiece and represent the crosses on Golgotha. Of the 103 windows in the church, only two are of identical shape. The altar is made of Italian marble, the benches of red-hearted pine from eastern Karelia and the textiles of linen.
In addition to church services, Aalto designed the church to be suitable for use as a parish hall with a meeting and club premises. The 34-metre high bell tower of the church symbolises a thunderbolt shot from the sky. The bell tower has three bells, one of which originates from the Enso cemetery chapel.
Open: 1 Sep - 31 May daily 10am - 3pm
1 Jun - 31 Aug daily 9am - 8pm
Kirkkokatu 2, 55120 Imatra
Kanavakatu 2, 55100 Imatra
Orthodox Church of St Nicholas
Vuoksenniskantie 3, 55510 Imatra, tel. +358 (0)5 451 5511, +358 (0)400 654 883
A chapel (tsasouna) designed by architect Toivo Paatela for the Orthodox parish of Lappeenranta was completed in 1956 in Sienimäki and dedicated to St Nicholas. On Whitsunday 1986, the tsasouna was consecrated as a church.
Open: 17 Jun - 17 Aug 2003 Tue - Sun 12 noon - 5pm.
Immola, 55950 Imatra, tel. +358 (0)20 410 2044
Displays the history of the Border Guard and the Finnish borders, as well as the life and work of the border guards since 1918. The basic exhibition contains a great many photographs, artefacts and scale models of the Finnish borders. In addition, the two-hectare outdoor area contains equipment related to the protection of Finland's borders.
The Border Museum is located in a canteen building at the garrison of the Southeast Finland Border Guard in Immola. The Border Museum was established by volunteers from the Border Guard and completed in 1989.
Open: June - August
Tue - Fri 3pm - 6pm
Sat - Sun 12 noon - 6pm
Imatra Art Museum
Karelian Farmhouse Museum
Pässiniemi, 55100 Imatra, tel. +358 (0)5 681 6711
A Karelian Farmhouse from the 19 th century.
Open: June - August Tue-Sun 10 am - 6 pm., other times by arrangement
Industrial Workers' Housing Museum
Ritikanranta, 55120 Imatra, tel. +358 (0)5 681 6712
Illustrates the housing conditions of industrial workers from the beginning of the 20th century until the 1960s.
Open: June-August Tue-Sun 10 am - 6 pm., other times by arrangement
Imatra Museum of Cultural History
Neitsytniemi Manor, 55400 Imatra, tel. +358 (0)5 681 6703
Exhibitions related to tourism.
Open: June-August Tue-Sun 12 noon - 6pm.
"The Maid of Imatra" statue
In the Patopuisto section of the Kruununpuisto Park, one can find the statue "Imatran Impi" (The Maid of Imatra) by Taisto Martiskainen, housed in a fountain designed by Kari Pärssinen. This place is a silent memorial to those numerous people who have ended their days by throwing themselves into the Imatrankoski Rapids.
Puoi commentare questo articolo solo dopo aver effettuato la login